Congratulations or, should I say, “thank you”, to Co-operative Financial Services for doing something simple that works so well in social media.
This video, delivered with endearing amateurism, was done to mark the company’s success in being chosen as Which’s “Financial Service Provider”.
What’s so effective about this, seemingly, throw-away piece of film?
1. Real people being themselves.
2. A thoroughly likeable and memorable way of delivering a simple message that would be difficult to do any other way.
3. It’s fun for a sector not renowed for having a sense of humour (or being allowed to have a sense of humour).
4. It’s daring for a financial services brand to be so frivolous, at a time when financial services are not top of anyone’s Christmas list.
5. It’s neither slick nor corporate, but invites but human interaction, which is the essence of social media after all.
For anyone with marketing or communications in their job title, in a sector whose usual messages might be considered “dry”, this is something to take note of.